Portuguese classes for adults ( for speakers of other languages)
Acquire basic knowledge that will allow you to learn more about Brazil, our people and culture.
Fall 2019 enrollment is now open!
The Portuguese as a Second Language is a beginner course targeted at adult foreigners who wish to learn Brazilian Portuguese. Classes meet weekly at Saturday mornings with a native-speaking teacher at McLean High School from September to December 2019 and February to June 2020. Our classes are dynamic and offer a mix of listening, speaking, reading and writing. You will learn the basic vocabulary and grammar necessary to participate in social events and maintain brief conversations about general topics. You also will learn about Brazilian cultural norms, and discuss current and historical events.
Sign up for classes with us! We are a non-profit organization created by the Brazilian community in the Washington, DC, region dedicated to promoting the Portuguese language and Brazilian culture. Our classes are not only fun and entertaining, but a great way to enjoy Brazilian hospitality!
Our goal is to have separate classes for basic and intermediate levels as long as we achieve the minimum number required per class (9 students).
Information about any materials needed for the session will be released by the teacher at the beginning of the course.
- Affordable Tuition: $425 + $15 registration fee. A 5% discount will be offered to parents of children currently enrolled in the Portuguese as a Heritage Language program.
- Small groups: Maximum 13 students, minimum 9.
- Teachers who are native speakers and passionate about Brazil’s culture.
- Fall 2019 Term: September 7 to December 7 (28 hours/13 Saturdays, with two 3-hour classes). No class on November 30.
- Time: Saturdays, 10 am – 12 pm (with occasional 3-hour classes 9:30-12:30)
- Location: McLean High School, 1633 Davidson Road, McLean, VA 22101 (entrance through Gate 12 on the side parking lot)
- Registration: Fill out this form and pay the invoice you will receive by email within a week.
- Registration deadline: August 9, 2019
All invoices are due on or before Aug 13.
FALL 2019 REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT DEADLINES (Fall 2019/Spring 2020)
Semester: Sept 7–Dec 7; no class 11/30.
Saturdays 10 am-12 pm (including two 3-hour classes; dates to be determined)
Step 1 – Fill out the form: Select the registration form that is right for you. Completing this form for each child is the first step in the enrollment process and is required for everyone.
- Adults, click here
Step 2 – Pay: A few days after submitting the form, an invoice will be sent within 7 (seven) days to the email address designated on the registration form. Registration is not complete and child cannot attend classes until payment is received by ABRACE.
Families with open balances with ABRACE will not be eligible to enroll students in the next term.
- July 22-28: priority period for returning students
- July 29-Aug. 9: open for all (on a first-come, first-served basis)
- Aug. 10 and beyond: any registrations will be automatically waitlisted. The adult responsible for the student(s) will be contacted by our School Director regarding availability.
Registration fee: $15
- Registrations completed on or before August 9: $425
- Registrations completed on or after August 10 (5% increase): $446.25
CANCELLATIONS AND WITHDRAWALS
- Cancellations made in writing on or before August 23 will be eligible for a refund less the $15 registration fee and a 10% administrative fee.
- After August 24, no cancellations or refunds will be made.
- A 5% fee over the program cost will be applied on all installment payments.
- Registrations completed by Aug. 9 are eligible for three equal installments (due on Aug. 13, Sep. 11 and Oct. 9).
- Registrations completed between Aug. 10-31 are eligible for two equal installments (due Sep. 11 and Oct. 9).
- Registrations completed on or after Sep. 1 are due in full, within 5 days upon issue of invoice.
***For all installment payments, the registration fee and 5% installment fee will be added to the first invoice.***
New students may participate in two trial classes before deciding to continue. The cost for these classes is $60 due prior to attending classes. This fee is non-refundable, but will be applied to the full semester invoice, if the student continues in the same semester that the trial classes took place.
We follow Fairfax County Public Schools with regards to closings due to inclement weather.