Portuguese classes for adults ( for speakers of other languages)
Acquire basic knowledge that will allow you to learn more about Brazil, our people and culture.
Spring 2019 enrollment is now open!
The Portuguese as a Second Language is a beginner course targeted at adult foreigners who wish to learn Brazilian Portuguese. Classes meet weekly at Saturday mornings with a native-speaking teacher at McLean High School from September to December 2018 and February to June 2019. Our classes are dynamic and offer a mix of listening, speaking, reading and writing. You will learn the basic vocabulary and grammar necessary to participate in social events and maintain brief conversations about general topics. You also will learn about Brazilian cultural norms, and discuss current and historical events.
Sign up for classes with us! We are a non-profit organization created by the Brazilian community in the Washington, DC, region dedicated to promoting the Portuguese language and Brazilian culture. Our classes are not only fun and entertaining, but a great way to enjoy Brazilian hospitality!
Our goal is to have separate classes for basic and intermediate levels as long as we achieve the minimum number required per class (9 students).
Information about any materials needed for the session will be released by the teacher at the beginning of the course.
- Affordable Tuition: $405 + $15 registration fee (for 36 hours of learning!). A 5% discount will be offered to parents of children currently enrolled in the Portuguese as a Heritage Language program.
- Small groups: Maximum 13 students, minimum 9.
- Teachers who are native speakers and passionate about Brazil’s culture.
- Spring 2019 Term: February 2 to June 1 (36 hours/17 Saturdays, with two 3-hour classes). No class on April 20.
- Time: Saturdays, 10 am – 12 pm (with occasional 3-hour classes 9:30-12:30)
- Location: McLean High School, 1633 Davidson Road, McLean, VA 22101 (entrance through Gate 12 on the side parking lot)
- Registration: Fill out this form and pay the invoice you will receive by email within a week.
- Registration deadline: January 2, 2019
All invoices are due on or before Jan 8.
Cancellations and withdrawals:
- Cancellations made in writing on or before Jan 18 will be eligible for a refund less the $35 registration fee and a 10% administrative fee.
- After Jan 18, no cancellations or refunds will be made.
Registrations completed by Jan 2 are eligible for three equal installments (due on Jan 8, Feb 6 & Mar 6).
Registrations completed between Jan 3 and Jan 30 are eligible for two equal installments (due Feb 6 & Mar 6).
Registrations completed on or after Jan 31 are due in full, within 5 days upon issue of invoice.
***For installment payments, the registration fee and 5% installment fee will be added to the first installment invoice***
Trial Classes: New students may participate in 2 trial classes before deciding to continue. The cost for these classes is $60 due prior to attending classes. This fee is non-refundable, but will be applied to the full semester invoice, if the student continues in the same semester that the trial classes took place.
For more information, please send us an email: email@example.com
No refunds are issued for any reason after the registration deadline of January 18, 2019.
If the minimum enrollment of at least 9 students per class is not met, we reserve the right to cancel the class after the registration deadline has passed. In case of a cancellation, students will be given the opportunity to request a full refund.
We follow Fairfax County Public Schools with regards to closings due to inclement weather.