Cargo: Diretor(a) Escolar (contrato por prestacão de serviço)
Organização: Associação Brasileira de Cultura e Educação (ABRACE)
Local: as atividades da ABRACE são realizadas na McLean High School, em McLean, Virginia, nos EUA.
Perfil do cargo: contrato por prestação de serviço (média de 72 horas por mês)
Comprometimento de tempo: manhãs de sábado e horário flexível durante a semana
Quem será levado em consideração: Candidatos fluentes em português do Brasil em nível avançado (como nativo), com excelentes habilidades de fala e escrita em inglês também, que tenham paixão pela cultura brasileira e língua portuguesa; que possuam um diploma de bacharel de faculdade ou universidade credenciada; tenham curso(s) de formação em Educação ou área relacionada é uma vantagem; estejam disponíveis durante a semana e aos sábados, e possuir permissão oficial para trabalhar nos Estados Unidos.
Início: primeira semana de agosto.
Veja abaixo a descrição completa da vaga em inglês e como se candidatar.
School Director, ABRACE (Brazilian Association of Culture and Education), Portuguese as a Heritage Language School
Job Description / Responsibilities
POSITION TITLE: School Director
ORGANIZATION: Founded in 2005, ABRACE — Brazilian Association of Culture and Education is a nonprofit organization offering classes on Brazilian culture and Portuguese as a Heritage Language to approximately 130 children (aged 2-13). ABRACE also organizes community outreach programs, including cultural fairs and literacy building initiatives with its own library.
LOCATION: Our activities take place on Saturday mornings at McLean High School, in McLean, VA. The position also requires remote work.
POSITION INFORMATION: This is a part-time position (estimated average of 72h/month) with great flexibility. However, work is required on most Saturdays during the Spring and Fall semesters (Feb-June and Sep-Dec.), with the exception of holidays when the school is closed.
This is a 12 month-position that can be renewed annually. This professional will work as an independent contractor.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Send your resume with letter of intent and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30, 2020
STARTING DATE: First week of August 2020
ABRACE seeks an experienced educator/administrator/leader who is flexible, dedicated and energetic, and has a positive attitude, to build on the school’s existing program and work collaboratively with a team of teachers, administrative team, volunteers and parent community to fulfill the organization’s Mission and Vision.
The School Director will be the leader of a Portuguese as a Heritage Language school that operates on Saturday mornings between September and June. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, s/he will guide and inspire a team of approximately 15 teachers and be responsible for the routine activities of the school as a whole, described in more detail below.
The ideal candidate is passionate about Brazilian culture and Portuguese language. S/he is a people-oriented, well-organized team player, with strong personnel and management skills.
Candidates must be able to quickly adapt to changing work priorities; frequently working flexible or nonstandard hours (weekday nights, Saturdays); maintain confidentiality; work with detailed information/data; set priorities according to the association’s strategic plans; communicate with various stakeholder groups; establish and maintain effective relationships; and work as part of a team.
The School Director reports to the Executive Director who will be his/her mentor and single liaison with the Board of the Directors.
Payment will be discussed in person and shall be based on experience.
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, dues, and/or skills required. Other dues may be assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENT: Minimum Qualifications Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
Candidates must possess the following professional qualifications:
- Must be a legal U.S. resident and have authorization to work in the U.S. ABRACE will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
- Native-like fluency in Brazilian Portuguese, with excellent speaking and writing skills in English as well.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. A coursework in education or related area is a plus.
- Strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint software.
- Successful prior experience as an educator and/or administrator at a school is desirable.
- Experience with using the Zoom platform is a plus.
- The contractor must provide their own office/work space, materials & supplies, including:
- Software (Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Internet access
- The contractor must provide his/her own transportation to the school in McLean and meeting locations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, dues, and/or skills required. Other dues may be assigned.
- Develop, monitor and maintain annual school goals, subject to the approval of the Executive Director and board of directors.
- Recruit and hire teachers with guidance from the Executive Director or designated committee.
- Plan, organize and conduct monthly meetings with the teachers for discussions regarding curriculum and students.
- Prepare, supervise and support curriculum implementation and related teaching materials for each classroom and present these to the Executive Director prior to the beginning of the school semester.
- Document and organize the instructional plans, class materials, references and lessons learned by grade.
- Set up the school, (i) verify that all classrooms are available and suitable to receive the students, (ii) supervise the timely arrival of teachers and assistants, as well as the arrival of volunteer parents and students and ensure that classes begin at the scheduled time.
- Supervise classes on a periodic basis to evaluate the program and content covered by teachers, as well as the teachers’ performance.
- Help create a positive sense of school community and a safe, healthy environment.
- Prepare and share information with the Executive Director about the programs and classes that will be material for the newsletter and social media on a weekly basis.
- Understand and abide by ABRACE’s policies.
For more information about the organization, please visit our website at www.abracebrasil.org